Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 2. Saturday, 9/3/11.

The plan for this day was to go to the beach and hang out until Liann and Corrina flew in. Then we would meet up with everyone for lunch and head out to get our event packets for the marathon relay the following day. Before we left, and as we put on sunscreen, I told Cory, Becky, and Karin that today was going to be my 2nd time EVER in the ocean. I’ve spent time ON the ocean commercial fishing with my brother, but not IN it. Once they picked their jaws up from the floor, we headed out the door towards Gillin’s Beach.

After driving paved road, turning onto a red, dirt road with a few potholes, and coming out in a clearing, Cory parked the jeep and we got out. (Barb joined us for this excursion.) There were a couple of paths that could be taken and so we did. The trail was short, and didn’t disappoint when we found ourselves on a beach, with some shade and lots of ocean. Becky and Cory quickly donned their snorkel gear and swam off. Karin hung back with me, and Barb pulled her book out and relaxed.

Karin showed me some things that I should be aware of about where we were and off we went to float in the water. It took me a good hour to relax and get the hang of floating in the ocean and letting it push me in towards shore. I would laugh every time a larger wave would lift me up and push me to shore. It was a wonderful gliding sensation. For some reason, on this beach, the rocks in the surf and I were attracted to each other. When we got out of the ocean, I had a few scrapes on the top of my foot from getting too close to the rocks.

The time came to load up and head back to the timeshare. When we got back, we found that Liann and Corrina had joined our group, so now the whole group was present and accounted for.

Next was lunch and then we all headed out to pick up our event packets for the marathon relay that we were signed up for. This was the 3rd annual Kaua’i marathon, and the first year they had a relay. I was assigned the 5.6 mile leg (at my request since I had only run 5.25 miles up to that point, and it felt like I was dying later on in the day). Picking up the packets didn’t take long, and then we drove the marathon course. The hills that I had to run didn’t look bad. After that, we headed back to the timeshare and started a pasta dinner.

Pasta dinner eaten and cleaned up, it was now time to head to bed for an early morning the next day. (The marathon started at 6:00am.)

No comments:

Post a Comment