Thursday, March 10, 2011

Soaked but Exhilarated

3/5/11 Last Saturday’s ride was AMAZING! We started out by attending a potluck, listening to several testimonies of how TNT and the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society have helped people personally. I was honored to listen to people who wouldn’t be here, talking to me if it wasn’t for the funds that have gone into research for a cure for these blood cancers. Some of these people have just completed a round of treatments; some of them have been in remission for years. That Saturday was one person’s anniversary of when they found out that they had this disease, and the next day was another’s anniversary of the same. These testimonies bring home the reason that I am riding with Team in Training.

Once all of the testimonies had been given, the cyclists were told to mount up. So we all put on our layers of clothing (it was about 46°F, cloudy skies with a chance of rain) and headed out. While I was waiting for everyone, I was trying to decide if I needed to grab my sunglasses. With how cloudy it was, I didn’t think I would need them-but Allison reminded me that if it does start to rain, it would be nice to have the glasses to shield my eyes from raindrops. Good point. I went to get them (and am SO glad that I did!).

This ride was a different experience than the rides that we had done in the past. This time, instead of 2-5 of us, there were 9 of us (there are more, but a few couldn’t make it this day). I am so excited to get to know my teammates and continue riding with them.

When we started the ride, we knew that there were going to be two ride options. The first one was 13 miles and the second one was 23. After having been in spin classes all Winter, I wasn’t sure how I would be feeling on my bike and was a little doubtful that I would feel good for 13 miles let alone 23. When I started having doubts, I decided to take control of those thoughts and tell myself that I could do this. Truly, I knew that I could do it-but you know how sometimes you just need a reminder? It started to rain a little, and the roads were wet, so we all started getting that wonderful brown line up our bums and backs. At one point, I was in a position in the lineup where I was right in the middle. The people in front were way ahead and the people behind were not way behind, but there was a gap. I decided to try and catch the folks in the front. Pretty soon I hear the “whoosh whoosh” of bicycle tires being powerfully propelled behind me. Daniel, our assistant coach, looked over and said, “Jump on” as he flew past me like I was just sitting still. He was referring to drafting behind him. I tried to catch him, but the guy is F-A-S-T! That was at the bottom of a very gradual incline, and the hill caught me unaware, so I found myself gasping for breath. About half way up, I heard a spin instructors voice say, “Take deep breaths and breathe through your nose as much as possible.” As soon as I started to do that, I was able to regain breathing composure, get my heart rate back under control, and finish up the hill without any other problems.

We came to the point of the group separating, the 13-mile riders heading back to the cars and the 23-mile riders doing another loop. As the 13-mile riders departed, I was thinking with fond memories of my first ride. (See blog entry “Rubber, Meet Road. Road, Meet Knee, Elbow, and Bum”.)

We got about half way through the loop the second time and needed to add a little out and back section to get in the mileage. We rounded a corner and headed down a hill into what looked like a cul-de-sac. We circled around and headed back up the hill. It’s amazing the different perspectives of a hill. Coming down it, it didn’t seem too steep or large. Rounding that corner, the hill looked like a wall to me. I didn’t dwell on it, I just jumped out of my seat and started pedaling-“running” up the hill. For a few moments, I felt like I was doing great, keeping up speed, not gearing down, when all of a sudden, I hear, “Wanna race?” right beside me. I look over and AJ is sitting on his seat, pedaling, and passing me like I’m standing still. I had to laugh. Ah well. I have some strength to build, and some things to figure out bike-wise, still. I also have to remind myself that it’s been 4 months since I’ve been on my bike, but more importantly, I’ve only been riding since the end of last May (9 months). Towards the end of the ride, the rain started really to come down. It had been sprinkling here and there, but now, it was a proper rain. I started to wonder how I was going to get home in my car without getting the drivers seat all dirty and wet. Once I figured that out, I sat back and enjoyed the rest of the ride.

(At the end of the ride, I asked Allison to take a picture of my back, but I’ll spare your eyes.)

Coming away from last Saturday’s ride, I was pleased at how I physically felt because of the spinning that I had been doing those 4 months. I didn’t know how that would help, whether it would build strength, endurance, or what. I have yet to see if spin classes will help me climb hills, but I’m sure I’ll have that chance in the next week or two. This Saturday, I look forward to a longer ride.

Later, Saturday evening, I looked at my bike helmet and found mud splattered up to the top of it. COOOOOOL!

22.34 miles, 1 hour 31 minutes. 14.2 Average Speed. ??? Max Speed (My computer tells me 47.9 but there’s no way I made it that fast. More like 25.) Total Miles on my bike: 1051.1

1 comment:

  1. That AJ guy sounds like a jerk! Perhaps he was just trying to encourage you and have some fun. . . after all, he worked pretty hard to catch you!

    ReplyDelete