Thursday, April 14, 2011

Catching up

Two weeks ago, we cancelled our ride on Saturday, due to a wind advisory of 35-45mph gusts. Having experienced cross and tail winds going up and down Hilltop, I was glad that we postponed until the following day.

Sunday, four of us started out from the North end of Boise, and headed toward Hwy 21 and the 4-mile climb. This ride was to be 34 miles, with the climb early on. When we got to the bottom of the hill, our assistant coach gave each of us a timed challenge to get to the top. For me, my challenge was to make it to the top in 35 minutes. Having never timed myself, but having watched my speed going up this hill, I was trying to calculate how fast I’d have to go all the way up in order to make the time. For some reason, I couldn’t make that calculation, but it kept me mentally busy while climbing. I made it to the top in 35 minutes 20 seconds. So, now I’m curious if I can beat that time. (I also beat coach up the hill. This has never happened, and I’m not so sure it will happen again. But I enjoyed the experience while I was going through it.)

The rest of that ride was pretty uneventful, other than when coming down hilltop, I put my bike in what I thought was my hardest gear and I just could not get my chain to engage as I was pedaling. I ended up coasting the majority of the way down the hill, and finally realized that I was in my middle ring. As soon as I got in my biggest ring, I was able to pick up speed and battle the crosswinds that hit me while coming down that hill.

4/9/11

Brrrr!

This past Saturday’s ride was tough for me. It was the coldest temperature that I’ve ridden in, and within just a matter of a few minutes, my face felt frozen. The first half was great (tail wind), but the second half was into the wind and I had a hard time keeping up. I think that was a combination of not eating or drinking enough throughout the ride (though I didn’t realize it until we were nearly back to our cars) and some mental warring with myself.

One thing I struggle with is losing momentum going up short hills. I was reading an article in a bicycle magazine that reminded me that there is a difference between going up short hills and long ones. Short hills, should be attacked, gaining speed before getting to the bottom of the hill, and powering up it. Long hills should be settled in to. Having just found out what this week’s route is, I have a couple of goals. Eat and drink a better amount. Power up short hills. Take control of my thoughts and start changing them.

39 miles

2 hours 50 minutes.

13.7 Average Speed.

36.8 Max Speed.

Total Miles on my bike: 1222.3

No comments:

Post a Comment