Wednesday, July 28, 2010

First Golf Experience

(Disclaimer-having never golfed before, I may mess up the terms, but hopefully you’ll understand what I’m saying.)

Yesterday, our company had a golf scramble as a going away party for one of my colleagues who is moving across the country-still with our company, but relocating. Each team had 4 people who each got to tee off, then we would play off of the best ball. Having never played before, I had to ask someone to show me how to hold the clubs, in addition, asking which club I should use for each shot. The people on my team were fantastic in answering questions and giving encouragement. As I prepared for my first shot (tee off?), I thought about an episode of “Monk” that I had just seen. Sherona had to play Golf with someone to spend time with the suspect and Monk acted as her Caddie. She asked him for the club ‘3’ and Monk, being Monk, just couldn’t do it. He HAD to start with the first club and handed her the ‘1’. I just laughed to myself as I was looking at my clubs and one of my team mates said, use your number 1 club for this shot.

Along the way, there were competitions for guys farthest Tee Off, ladies furthest Tee Off, Guys closest to the pin, Ladies closest to the pin, etc. I ended up getting ladies closest to the pin-even with a water hazard involved. My ball ended up in the sand hazard, BUT I got it over the water. WOHOOOO! Of course, that was my best shot out of all 9 holes and it felt like it all went downhill from there. Regardless of that, my team won...by 1 point.

After the game during dinner, I was asked if I am now addicted to the game of golf or if I could take it or leave it? I said that I probably wouldn’t take it up on my own, but if someone asked if I wanted to join them for a game of golf, I’d do it. I was pleasantly surprised that I had fun and really did enjoy the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment