Sunday, July 4, 2010

Muscle Memory is Amazing

I am amazed at what one-week will do. Yesterday, we rode the same route that we rode last week, including the “Shoot Me Now” hill. I was amazed that I didn’t feel so much like saying that on the way up it this time. In fact, I was breathing, but nothing like the sucking in of wind that all of the leaves were pulled right off of the surrounding trees like last week. No, this felt quite different. Yes, it is still a challenge, but despair didn’t come over me half way up the hill. Our coach was gone this week, so Mary came along for the ride. She was fantastic and yelled and cheered all the way up that hill. Especially once she saw that we were struggling (again, not as badly as last week). I ended up leading because I was pretty sure I knew the route. The average speed went down from last week by 1.2 mph, and due to that, it took us a little longer to do 2.25 miles less. (We did a little backtracking last week that we didn’t do yesterday due to fresh chip seal.) During the ride, I also discovered some sore muscles from Thursday’s experience with “The Big Nasty”. One bruise has shown itself, so I must have hit a rock somewhere along the way, a couple of other places feel bruised, but aren’t showing it. Sore core muscles yesterday as well, but today, I’m feeling GREAT!

36.45 miles, 2 hours 48 minutes. 13.0 Average Speed. 38.4 Max Speed. Total Miles on my bike: 217.9. STARVING before we finished this ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment