Sunday, June 20, 2010

First Hill Top Climb

Mentally, I was prepared for what we were about to do-or so I thought. We met at a parking lot and headed down the green belt towards Lucky Peak. That was a fantastic stretch and I was feeling great. My cheerios with chopped almonds and strawberries really seemed to be a good combination for breakfast on a ride day. (During the Nutritional Clinic last Thursday, we were encouraged to try different foods, combinations of food and energy stuff now while training, to see what works best for us, and then use that for the event.) When we got to the recreational area by the rooster tail we stopped to re-group and get a little direction. We had 6 on the ride, Coach Brad, Cheri (his wife), Joe and Anna (Friends of Brad), Allison and me (the TNT cycle team with Brad). This was it. This was where the “fun” began. We received a bit of coaching from Brad before heading up the hill (three of our group had done this climb before, the other three hadn’t. Allison and I were among the “hadn’ts”). Between where we were and the top of the dam, there weren’t any pull over spots so it was go until you arrive at the dam. We also were told that this wasn’t a race to see who got to the top first-speed doesn’t matter, getting to the top does. This took a little pressure off and we started pedaling. I was about halfway to the dam when I noticed that I was watching the road immediately in front of me and started to think about “forgetting what was behind and STRAINING towards what is ahead…pressing on towards the goal…”. Once I started thinking about and looking towards the dam, things started feeling a little better. I made it! Sucking wind, but I made it! For some reason, THAT (the dam) is what I was mentally prepared to do. This, however, was not the end of our journey. Hilltop was a little further up that hill. From the dam to hilltop, I stopped 3 times due to burning legs needing a break. I was the last one up, but I made it. (I can’t count Brad as being the last one up. He made it up to the top and then came back for me and followed me the rest of the way up.)

The next part of the journey made me a little apprehensive, but what goes up, must come down. Even with a head wind, I broke my high speed-not by much because of the wind, but what a feeling! I felt like I was flying due to the rush of wind enveloping me. That was worth going up the hill.

I think I just may be sore tomorrow.

27.5 miles, 2 hours. 13.3 Average Speed. 33.5 Max Speed. Total Miles on my bike: 129.5

No comments:

Post a Comment