Monday, June 14, 2010

SPLAT

I got started a little later than anticipated tonight and headed out the door, right under an ominous black cloud. This week isn’t about distance, it’s about pushing myself. The plan was to go to a hill that I know of, and to go up and down it several times. I pedaled hard and tried to keep my pace up around 15 mph. Upon reaching the stop sign before turning west, I noticed that the sky was getting much darker and I felt that without lights, I wasn’t being safe. Also, to my chagrin, I found that the rest of the ride to the hill would be on newly chip sealed road. Not knowing exactly what to do with this type of road condition, I decided to turn back. I pedaled hard, again, trying to keep my pace right at that 15 mph mark. All of a sudden, I realized that I was going through a shower…of bugs. They were smacking against my face, legs, sun glasses (boy am I glad I had sunglasses on!). They even flew in my ears. Ack! But I was careful to not open my mouth so I didn’t get any stuck in my teeth. I was amazed that when I went next to a sprinkler or a ditch with water in it how much the temperature dropped. I’m also amazed at how friendly other cyclists are, how dumb some motorists are (driving in the bike lane causing another cyclist to go around the car as they stopped right in front of the cyclist), and how friendly and observant some motorists are (got several motorists waving and smiling as they passed me). Though the ride was short, I got home feeling as though I accomplished something. What? I am not sure, but something. =-)

5.25 miles, 21 minutes. 14.7 Average Speed. 21.2 Max Speed. Total Miles on my bike: 93.9 (next ride, I'm going to break 100 miles)

No comments:

Post a Comment