Sunday, June 27, 2010

“Shoot me now” hill

Today the goal was 35-40 miles. We started in Eagle, went out to Middleton, and back to Eagle in a round about way. There was one point where we needed to turn left and started to, but then Brad said, “Let’s do it, this will be good for you. Turn around.” So we turned around and had a gorgeous hill to go down. (By this point, I know what he is thinking. I was betting that we had to go down the hill and turn around and come back up it.) Sure enough-at the bottom of the hill, we were told, “Turn around.” So, the beautiful hill that we had just come down, we got to go back up. By the time I got half way up that hill, I was sucking wind. By the time I got to the top, I just wanted someone to shoot me, but we all did it! That was one bear of a hill! Then, after taking a bit of a break, we followed the road around a beautiful neighborhood. The road was nice and curvy, with a few rolling hills. Brad was on the look out for one road in particular and hadn’t found it by the time we headed down another GREAT hill. Brad was quite a bit in front of, us and I saw him take his right arm up in the air and signal by making circles, hand up above his head. I don’t know what that signal means so I started really watching to see what he was doing. All of a sudden, he started turning, and we are not at the bottom of the hill yet. Cheri voiced what I was thinking, “Oh Man!” with disappointment that we weren’t finishing the downhill portion of this hill. When I got to the turn, I saw another daunting hill, but unlike the last one, I wouldn’t class this one as “shoot me now”. I was in a tough gear due to going down hill, so I started shifting a little and stood up on my bike to pedal, getting a little more power and passed Brad (though, he was waiting to make sure that everyone had made the turn alright). After that, I was just about done in. We rode around the subdivision a little more, and finally came out of it and headed back towards the cars. We were going to go up one more gradual incline, but before we got to the road, I let Brad know that my legs were rebelling. We stopped and he asked, “What hurts?” I told him, my bum, hips, thighs, hamstrings, sit bones. By this time, I believe we were at 35 miles. He conceded and we headed back to the cars in a round about way.

A few hours later, I am feeling pretty good, but I expect to be a bit sore tomorrow. I’m starting to get raccoon eyes from my sunglasses. I have a bike jersey tan on my arms (farmer’s tan), and my legs actually have a little bit of color today. Now they aren’t so transparently white-well, ok, they are still pasty, but I will end the summer with some color on them.

38.74 miles, 2 hours 45 minutes. 14.2 Average Speed. 36.4 Max Speed. Total Miles on my bike: 174.5

No comments:

Post a Comment